JOB DESCRIPTION FOR SENIOR ECONOMIC ADVISOR
Position: SENIOR ECONOMIC ADVISOR
USAID is seeking to place an experienced economic policy expert as an embedded Senior Advisor in the office of Timor-Leste’s Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs (MCAE). The Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs assists the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in coordinating and supervising the members of Government responsible for implementing policies for economic governance areas including: the Ministry for Commerce, Tourism, and Industry; the Ministry for Agriculture and Fisheries; the Secretary of State for Employment and Vocational Training; the Secretary of State for Cooperatives; and the Secretary of State for the Environment. The MCAE also has oversight authority for 9 Government Autonomous Agencies and the state owned National Commercial Bank of Timor-Leste (BNCTL) Working with the Government of Timor-Leste, USAID has identified three broad baskets that capture the most pressing constraints to growth, diversification, and recovery: 1) Infrastructure, 2) Capacity Building, and 3) Business Enabling Environment.
The Senior Advisor will support MCAE in drafting policy options, policies, laws, regulations or protocols and advise on how to assess effectiveness of implementation efforts related to policies and regulations addressing identified constraints to efforts promoting a more diversified economy on its path to recovery and WTO accession.
USAID, through the Asia Emerging Opportunities mechanism, will bring onboard the Senior Economic Advisor and be responsible for supervision. As the Advisor works under the guidance of the Coordinator of Technical Team, the AEO team will ensure that the Advisor works collaboratively with both USAID and MCAE. Whenever appropriate, the Senior Economic Advisor will also work collaboratively with the Legal and Policy Advisor, the sector-specific Technical Specialists and the Technical Support Team.
- 15 years of experience in analysis, implementation, and/or development of economic policy;
- Expertise in economic policy as it relates to growth and diversification, in particular: prioritizing infrastructure options, expanding domestic commerce and trade; fostering entrepreneurship, increasing FDI and domestic investment, job creation, and economic inclusion for women and youth;
- Familiarity with the economics of international trade and the ASEAN and/or WTO accession process;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and create consensus between governmental and non-governmental stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to foster relationships across high-level government operating units and coordinate complex, policy-focused work;
- Familiarity with the economic policy and trade environment in the region;
- Public policy competency required in economic development, preferably in a governmental environment; and
- Bilingual English/Portuguese: Reading/Writing/Speaking.
- Expertise on agricultural policy and natural resource management policy a plus;
- Familiarity with the US Government’s strategic and economic interests in the region, as defined by the Indo-Pacific Strategy;
- Experience working with USAID or other donor agencies or implementing partners on economic policy programs;
- Experience or familiarity working in Timor-Leste or a similar context; and
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building, coaching, mentoring and staff development preferably in a developing country environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Advise, mentor, assist and develop technical expertise of the MCAE in exercising its executive and governance functions, particularly in the areas of economy and development with a focus on the achievements of the following results:
- Provide technical advice to the MCAE according to its mandate in policies and coordination processes in the areas of economy and development, as required;
- Coordinate the drafting and submission of a Guide to Economic Reform and Growth (GRFE) for the period 2021 – 2023, with a focus on economic pillars and axes of reform needed to implement the Strategic Development Plan 2011 – 2030 (SDP);
- Provide evidence-based advice to the MCAE, particularly in the areas of economy and development aligned with the Timor-Leste’s National Strategic Plan;
- Provide technical guidance to relevant Focal Points of MCAE in conducting line Ministries coordination and in following-up on the recommendations arising from them;
- Provide technical support to the MCAE to coordinate the line Ministries, Secretary of States and Autonomous Agencies which are under coordination of MCAE in the implementation of national plans, budgets and strategies related to economic development;
- Assists in analyzing National Economic Plan, Budget execution reports from the economic development perspective;
- Support the MCAE in drafting technical opinions, analysis and reports, as required;
- Engage with the MCAE and its coordinating entities to develop skills of staff, as required;
- Advise the MCAE on international governmental best practices, in the areas of economy and development; and
- Public policy competence required in economic development, preferably in a parliamentary environment.
- Team player with effective interpersonal skills
- Energetic, positive and constructive attitude